¡We can no longer be a bunch of empty minds living in critical times refusing to recognize real lies!

Saturday, 04 December 2010

THE BENEFITS OF LIVING WITH HIV

There is a lot of negativity and heaviness when talking about HIV. People rarely get to hear the positivity and the beauty of living with this disease. So I chose to post this article t to provide a different side of the dialogue around the epidemic and talk about the benefits of living with HIV. As crazy as that notion sounds, I think HIV + folks can get to a place where they can feel lucky to be living with HIV.

Benefit No. 1: Clarity.

Every day since my diagnosis, I have gained more clarity. Who I am. What I want in life. What is most important to me. Who is most important to me. What I want in a friend. What I want in a life partner. My goals. My dreams. My present. My future. All of it continues to become so clear. Suddenly that cliché of living every day like it is your last is resonating with me. If I really had just this one day to live, I would want to live it with purpose, with stability, and with passion.The small stuff -- the daily drama and the bullshit -- does not get to me like it used to. It is a breath of fresh air to have more of this inner peace.

Benefit No. 2: What I Stand For.

What is interesting about living with HIV is that it impacts you in different ways as you change and as your life changes. HIV has a tendency to blindside me when I thought I had a part of my process figured out. Lo and behold, it comes back -- incarnated -- with a bigger bite than before. Each time I get that bite, I tackle it and the parts of my life that it affects. In doing so, I become more grounded, more planted into the earth, more rooted, and more confident in what I stand for and why. I am extremely thankful and blessed to have supportive people who foster a safe space where I can explore and develop myself.

Benefit No. 3: Spirituality.

In the past two years I have really looked to the Higher Powers. In my healing process, I've come to terms with mortality. It is a fact that I am living with a chronic disease and it is a fact that my body will decay and return to the earth no matter how well I take care of myself. Reacting to these facts, I am in such awe of each human being's role in the grand scheme of things. It is a dose of humility. I am a fleeting blink of an eye in this universe, I don't have all the answers, and I am OK with that. I am OK with surrendering.

Benefit No. 4: The Perfect Filter.

Thank you HIV for being the PERFECT filter. Because of you I refuse to invest in people who do not love and appreciate me for me. Because of you I have been introduced to phenomenal people and everyday heroes I would not have met otherwise. Because of you I know that I have rights to knowledge, rights to speak out and be heard, rights to be respected, rights to have love, rights to have hot sex, and rights to have as many children as I want. Because of you I continue to develop true and real human relationships with my family and my friends. Because of you I have found a beautiful support system. Because of you my definition of "success" has become more robust. Because of you I cut down on spending time and energy on the shit that life can hand you. Because of you I know I have no limits.
For me, HIV is one of the best things that ever happened to me. My process continues to be difficult as I make choices and life decisions as an HIV-positive Asian woman in her very early 20s. However, through my diagnosis I have become empowered. I have found a voice and a blissful urge to live.

SOURCE: THEBODY

10 comments:

  1. thank you for posting this. I'm glad that you chose to speak out about HIV and your experience .

    ReplyDelete
  2. While it's nice this person learned all these things doesn't it break anyones heart that he had to start dying of an STD to learn things a little common sense and self love could have accomplished?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post man. Hope you don't mind but I just had to re-post it on STM Blog.
    http://savagetalonsmedia.blogspot.com/2010/12/thegayte-keeper-benefits-of-living-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting post. The young lady speaks candidly about how she matured after being diagnosis with HIV; I'm sure she had time to think about her life as she once knew it and made the decision to change things and accept no shorts.

    I suppose there are benefits in being HIV+ it allows one to focus on self and what is important and what holds no merit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. its been a while since ive kept up with your blog but you never disappoint. I can definitely respect and appreciate your bein so open.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HERSHEY'S KISS - YOU ARE WELCOME...BUT THESE ARE NOT MY EXPERIENCES.

    ReplyDelete
  7. CHET - YEP THERE SURE ARE BENEFITS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. NOBLE - IT IS SO NICE TO SEE YOU HERE!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR VOICE...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails