¡We can no longer be a bunch of empty minds living in critical times refusing to recognize real lies!

Monday, 18 July 2011

¿IS HE UNDATABLE BECAUSE HE IS HIV+?

He has a good job. He is athletic and health oriented. He is the boy next door. He live right outside of one of the largest and gayest cities in the world or a small island like mine. He has awesome family and friends. 

Oh, and he happens to have HIV.

Because of the latter, all the other traits he can bring to the table seem not to matter when it comes to dating. He has tried HIV dating Web sites and social events but has been unsuccessful. Since his status does not define him and he is not limiting himself to just HIV+ guys and he is open to dating anyone who fits into what he is looking for in a man, when HIV isn't a death sentence anymore... 

My question is how does such a man deal with HIV stigma and dating without giving up hope?


6 comments:

  1. Wow. what a great post. Its amazing to me the stigma those with HIV still get these days. Especially here in the ATL where a good number of men here have it, the stigma is alive and strong. A man can be violent, drug addicted, lazy, no job, etc. and will get a man quicker than a man who is honest with his HIV status and he could be financially and mental stable, etc.

    And lets not even begin to talk about how many guys lie about their HIV status on many of the online sites yet a guy who does mention it is barely contacted!

    We have a long way to go unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PITO SAVAGE & RICK TALONS: THE QUESTION BEARS ASKING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. RAW LEATHER DADDY: WE SURE DO! I REMEMBER COMING TO THE ATL A FEW YEARS AGO AND SEEING MEN THAT WERE HIV+. IT TOTALLY BROKE MY SOUL SEEING THEM SINGING SONGS AROUND A GRAND PIANO LETTING THEIR SOUL SPEAK THROUGH THE GIFT OF SONGS, IT WAS SO TOUCHING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 21 y/o son is HIV+ and I've wondered (worried) this very question for him. I've stood by him and been with him through every step of his treatment. (He's on Atripla and his load is un-detectable). However, his diagnosis broke my heart. As any parent I pray for my childs happiness and success. Its saddens me profoundly that his diagnosis may be the cause for a future of loneliness and rejection. He's such a loving and special young man. As an african american gay male he already had a difficult road ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ANON: I AM SO HAPPY THAT YOUR SON HAS YOUR SUPPORT! MY SOUL GOES OUT TO HIM. HE IS THE REASON I POST THESE ENTRIES, HE IS THE REASON I CAN'T LET THIS SUBJECT MATTER GO! I ONLY HOPE THAT HIM BEING HIV+ DOESN'T GET IN THE WAY OF HIM LIVING HIS LIFE.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR VOICE...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails