¡We can no longer be a bunch of empty minds living in critical times refusing to recognize real lies!

Sunday, 03 July 2011

¿DOES RELIGION HAVE POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE INFLUENCE ON THE WORLD?

Does religion has a positive or negative influence on the world? Does it provide comfort, hope and social cohesion? Does it promote gullibility, intolerance, the rejection of reality in favor of belief? If your response is both, which is more common, or more important? Can the good things done in the name of religion really be chalked up to religious belief itself, or would people have done them anyway, and religion just gave them the inspiration? What about the bad things done in the name of religion?

I say religion as a whole has an interesting influence on human society and no matter of this issue you take, our emotions will get in the way of reason and understanding. When persons argue over whether some piece of religious doctrine is plausible or not, misses the purpose of the doctrine’s intent. And that makes for some very muddled, meandering, frustrating debates. I am often the one sitting on the fence because I feel that it is worth remembering that each side could theoretically be right and wrong about the other. But if I had to choose, I’d say that religion has a harmful influence on the world. 

10 comments:

  1. I'm Catholic and my dad is Muslim - I think that it's all up to people. You should believe in something, even if that something is not in a god...it's all human nature and one can argue till one is blue in the face, and we can reach no where!

    People are the ones who use and abuse religion - the fact that someone is a Christian and the other aetheist does not mean one is good and the other bad - it's simply down to human nature.

    I think that we are all human and to be human is to be frail - we are all subject to err! And that makes us the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. STEVEA: I AM CATHOLIC AS WELL AREN'T WE GOOD ALTAR BOYS?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I think the original messages and tenets of all religions are good and inspirational. The problems and negative reactions occur due to the self-promoting and false prophets who claim "divine inspiration" in order to justify their power and influence over the masses. They are the ones promoting exclusion, harsh judgment and intolerance. They have so twisted and maligned the true meaning of religion (any faith or persuasion) that what we have today hardly resembles the initial teaching of any faith.

    I was raised Greek Orthodox and still consider myself a member of that faith community. God gave me a brain so that I may discern fact from fiction and reality from the absurd. My faith is what lies inside my heart and not the pronouncements of a hypocritical and self-serving theologian spewing hate.

    As I leave this pulpit, the offertory basket is now being passed towards the purchase of my new car. Please give generously! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with Roger.
    Let's buy him a new car !

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROGER: I LOVE YOUR COMMENT! IT SADDENS ME THAT MANY CAN'T OR PRETEND THEY CAN DISCERN FACT FROM FICTION.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DAYUM: AS LONG AS I GET TO USE IT WHENEVER I WANT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has some influence on the world; good or bad I can't say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. CHET: I THINK OVER IT IS BOTH.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats why I have grew to just say I am a believer of God. Religion cause too much DRAMA, and its something that isn't really needed. Too many people of religion may feel like theirs are better than the others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DONN M.: I SAY THE SAME THING!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU FOR YOUR VOICE...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails